For golf course operators, irrigation pond maintenance is an increasingly important aspect of grounds maintenance. Many golf courses are using recycled water for irrigation due to decreasing availability of fresh water and rising water costs. The use of recycled water requires careful monitoring and management of water quality to reduce risks of health hazards to humans, animals, plants and irrigation systems.
Westlake Golf Club March 2017, 10.000 m3 irrigation pond receives 1.800 m3 water daily from the local sewage treatment plant causing several problems:
- Unpleasant odors
- Grey murky water
- Extremely high level of bacteria
The presence of Fecal Coli-forms in the irrigation reservoir is an indicator that water has been contaminated by pathogens, disease producing bacteria or viruses, which can cause a potential health risk or humans, animals and plants
exposed to this water.
Pathogenic bacteria are anaerobes and require organic matter, carbon dioxide, phosphorus, nitrogen, ammonia or sulphur to survive. Aerators on the market today and those currently deployed at Westlake Golf Club are inefficient and expensive and cannot distribute dissolve oxygen quickly and evenly throughout the entire pond.
Dissolved oxygen is key, as it oxidizes anaerobic pathogens, reduces carbon dioxide in the water and encourage the growth of beneficial aerobic microorganisms.
Based on the assessment of the site and water analysis data, our team of experts recommended 60 days treatment of the pond with MK1 Ultra Fine Bubble Generator to the Golf Club management.
The MK1 Ultra Fine Bubble Generator was installed in the pond in late March 2017. Installation time was less than half a day including the the power supply installation and system setup.
Water analysis revealed following starting water quality level:
Fecal Coli-forms: >2000 cfu
E. Coli: >2000 cfuCOD: 94 mg/L
Results - Irrigation Pond
- Strong unpleasant odour
- Green murky water
- 30cm visibility
- No aquatic life or animals
- Odour disappeared after 5 days
- Water colour changed
- 1m visibility
- Faecal Coliforms: < 5 cfu
- E. Coli: < 5 cfu
- COD: 25 mg/L
- Visibility in water > 4 m Bottom covered with air bubbles
Results - Course Green
Due to the high level of dissolved oxygen and the presence of nanobubbles in the irrigation water, the course soils became increasingly aerobic and following observations were made:
- Germination of rye-grass after 3 days
- First cutting of grass after 7 days
- Golf Green renovation completed in 7 weeks vs traditional 14 weeks
- Extremely robust and thick turf consistency
- No yellow spots or root rot observed
- No fertilizers used
- 100% resolved the irrigation water contamination with pathogens
- 90% reduction of operational and maintenance costs for aeration
- 100% faster growth of turf
- 50% reduction of green renovation time (from 14 weeks to 7 weeks)
- > 90% cost reduction for green renovation
- Drastic reduction of fertilizers & pesticides
Our technology provides a 100% natural solution to re-activate aerobic conditions in soil. Improved aerobic conditions provide nitrogen fixing bacteria the required environment allowing them the ability to significantly enhance turf growth.
- No chemicals
- No Biological agents
- No fertilizers
- Faster growth of plants